Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Reflections From Nehemiah 1

Keep in mind, O Lord, the order you gave your servant Moses, saying, If you do wrong I will send you wandering among the peoples: But if you come back to me and keep my orders and do them, even if those of you who have been forced out are living in the farthest parts of heaven, I will get them from there, and take them back to the place marked out by me for the resting-place of my name. -Nehemiah 1:8-9

Nehemiah knew what God had spoken and so came to Him with this knowledge and belief in place.

Knowing who your audience is- changes your approach. 

We learn this in persuasive speech 101!

Don't we learn it as whiny begging children too? ;) ...How does Grandma respond vs. how does Mom and Dad best "bend?" Which tone should I take?

What about as a teacher? Don't you approach a kindergarten class differently than you'd approach freshmen in college? ...

Even a salesman takes different approaches at his job.

But all the same, knowing your audience is key!

So what about with GOD?

How do I pursuade GOD?

How do I change God's mind or get God's attention???

Toughy?

What if prayer has absolutely nothing to do with persuasion tactics on God but rather He has gone above and beyond to convince US that He is in our favor, he loves us to the ends and back, he has good gifts to bestow, he has everything we need, he just wants us to approach him with authenticity and humility!

If I came before God Almighty with understanding of WHO HE IS, my approach would become more authentic and my ego would fall into humble submission. Why? Because he is completely accepting of me. He is the God of forgiveness, second chances, thirds, and fourths! He loves well. He loves me best. He calls and invites me and then waits for me to come to Him. Any acts of convincing, on my part, is a sign that I don't fully understand his vastness of love. What God desires of me is a heart of surrender and submission to his love. And his love is everything I desire and need.

No comments:

Post a Comment